Belonging to the archipelago of the BES islands in the Caribbean Sea, with an area of 288 km², it includes 18000 inhabitants.
Since 2008 the municipality has decided to change its energy model by installing the wind field composed of 12 turbine. In moments of maximum wind, the wind power plant supplies the 90% daily electricity. During the year, the contribution of wind power is around 45% (11 MW). The remaining 55% is covered by a dual fuel plant (14 MW) capable of operating on both traditional diesel and biodiesel.
Soon the island will benefit from one 100% renewable electricity supply thanks to an inventory wind-biodiesel, permanently stopping fossil fuel imports. The benefits for the local population include a 10-20% reduction in the cost of the bill. When fully operational, the system will involve the non-emission of over 70 thousand tons of CO into the atmosphere2/year.